Monday, October 27, 2008

Are your thoughts results of static cling?

Hey! So the title to this blog is my favorite line in a song on the new Jason Mraz CD...great line. ANYWHO I have a lot of updating to do so let us begin!

My weeks are crazy as usual. I just turned in my weeks timesheet and I put in 58.5 hours last week alone! I have not had a free day since the 18th and I will not have one until the 2nd of November..oh how I am going to enjoy THAT day! The pace is fast but the work rewarding...we did the beach sweep (which I was in the paper for!) and it was so great to talk to kids about issues that they will have to deal with in the future (and that we are dealing with today) and its refreshing because they are so much more involved in environmental change than I ever was when I was their age. My COD day is now planning a recyclefest for a middle school on the Cape and we are going to do a puppet show (its amazing and I play the Sandwitch! Get it..Sand...witch...) I just like it because she has a green ribbon in her hair and I get to use her arm to pet it (being a puppeteer is WAYYY harder than I thought!! I kept closing her mouth when she should be talking and opening it during the other times..its weird. Either that or I am slow....NO COMMENT! :-) The other thing we are planning is a mural made out of recycled paper materials that will be off a clean earth like blue water (and foil to make the water shine!) and trees, birds, fish, the sun, etc.
I then went to a wind power conference in Plymouth that was really eye opening because I never thought that there could be so many opposing views on the side that SUPPORTS wind...I naively figured you were just for or against..but there are many more issues than that that add to the walls these wind people have to break down.
Friday we had another Wet-fest and I worked at a table called "Where Rivers Meet the Sea" and we talked about estuaries and did an experiment with layering water based on their salt content. There were some HYPER kids at the school and some of them just did not know how to keep their hands to themselves (Meredith got sprayed in the face with a water gun by a little boy...HA HA! I laughed at her) BUT there was this sweet little girl, Veronica, who was quiet the whole time and then right before she had to switch groups came up to me and said "I really liked this one, thank you" and it warmed my heart.

In OTHER news--I am learning how to crochet (sp?) from a lady in the senior residence next door and she is AWESOME..there is also a lady there from CORNING!!! Go figure...she lived on Ontario street for all those who know where that is!
We wont first place in trivia this week AGAIN..not that I'm bragging or anything but I had the save the day answer to the question "The word Numismatics referrs to what kind of tangible object?" The answer you ask? COINS! BOO YAH!!! FIRST PLACE HECK YES!
And I am sick..I had a fever of 101.6 yesterday and took Nyquil for the first time EVER last night and it made me dream things in weird technicolor. I'm lying about the technicolor BUT (for comic relief) I did drop my glasses in the toilet this morning because I was still feeling the effects (clean toilet..don't worry mom :-)

Last but not least...yesterday a group of us went to a Bioneers Conference in New Bedford and it was an extremely moving experience. It turned my life upside down in the best way. There were influential speakers there like Van Jones, Majora Carter, John Abrams, Simran Sethi, Lynne Twist, John Perkins etc etc. It was great and so hard to put into words but they all basically spoke about different aspects within the environmental change world and had some really cool quotes such as "If you are alive today, you have a role to play," "Waste is the sign of bad design" or "We cannot have peace on the earth unless we have peace with the earth." The theme of the weekend was a butterfly and the reason why is because the caterpillar (right before it goes into a cocoon) apparently consumes way too much and when this happens a signal inside the caterpillar triggers cells inside to form together that makes the caterpillar begin building a cocoon. They compared this change from a caterpillar to the butterfly to the change that is going to happen in our world and the cells are supposed to be us! It was really cool and I just want to leave you with a part of my favorite quote from the weekend by George Bernard Shaw:

"I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me; it is a sort of splendid torch which I have gotten hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations"

Thank you.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Jac....Love hearing about all of your adventures and super cool work you are doing. Thought you should know: I just told someone about the plastic vortex to encourage them to participate in their company's plastic bottle recycling program!! You're the one who told me about that!

Hope you are having a great week. Missyouloveyouletsadventuresoon!

Alisa said...

ohhhhh how i love you my dearrrrr.