Sunday, October 5, 2008

Say what you need to say

I'm going to try and condense all that I have to say about the weekdays since it has been awhile and a lot has happened!

To pick up where I left off... Wetfest was soo much fun! The Wet Festival is something that Americorps does in all the school districts on the Cape throughout the year. Basically we set up 12-15 activities in the school gym that all have to do with education about water- the water table, septic systems, watershed management, the water cycle, pollution in the waters, habitat destruction, etc etc. The activity that I was in charge of (with Tim) was Flush the Kids. Basically there is this huge toilet (made out of wood) that the kids climb through into tubes and make it to the "septic system" (one of those blow-up Fisher price houses) and come out on the other side in their "backyard." Before they are flushed they are given clean water (a clear plastic cup) with pieces of paper in it that say solids (or "pooppieee!!!" as the kids like to say) nitrogen, grease, and bacteria. There are places in the septic system where they drop all the pieces of paper off and they come out on the other side with nitrogen...illustrating that the water is not completely clean on the other side and it contributes to fish kill and eutrophication. It was so much fun and the kids LOVED getting flushed and some of them had spontaneous dance parties in the septic system.

The week after that we had the rest of our trainings and met our service partners..I am only four miles from my individual placement which is COMPLETELY bike-able! I start there this Wednesday.
Thursday of this week a group from my house went to trivia at a bar called The Beach House...and four of us girls won it!! Meredith, Jenny, Maria and myself were a team and we DOMINATED...not really though...we almost lost to a bunch of older gents that were not too happy with us by the end of the night due to our success BUT we got a $25 gift certificate that we are going to use this Thursday (I mean..we have to protect our title!)

Friday after training Alex, Jenny, Meg, Brian, Abbey, Amanda and I went camping in Martha's Vineyard!! We took the ferry over and brought our bikes and looked ridiculous with all of our tents, book bags and sleeping bags ALL on our bikes...it was a blast! The reason we went to the vineyard was to see Entrain (that awesome band we are now groupies for) and camping was the cheapest thing on the vineyard (still $80 for a four person campground!). HUGE SIDE STORY (so you may want to skip it)..So friday night we got to the bar and I went up to the bar and asked the bartender for water and then I threw out a tissue in the garbage behind the bar...THREE POINTER!! So I hear the guy standing next to me say "Wow nice shot" and I (being the smart alleck that I am) turn my head while saying "Yeah..I'm pretty impressive.." and as soon as I fully turned my head I noticed the guy as the LEAD SINGER OF ENTRAIN! So he laughs, complements me on my "Green is Sexy" shirt and we talked for the next 20 minutes while my friends are in awe that I am talking to this guy. Turns out, his name is Jeff, he is 27 and from Pennsylvania. He went to Bucknell and get this... in college he was in a group that opened for an A CAPPELLA GROUP at...SUNY BINGHAMTON!!!! I (of course) boasted about Rhythm Method at this point and he said he wanted to hear some of our stuff OHH YEAHHH. ALSO I asked him to play the song "Dancing in the light" that my friends and I loved at the last show and he said yes. It was the last song of the set and before he started it he said "This last song goes out to Jaclyn and Americorps Cape Cod!" And we all screamed our heads off and danced like mad, which was awesome.

PHEW so anyway Saturday day we biked all around the Vineyard and it was so much fun. Saturday night we were back on the Cape and my house went to a Town Hall in Woods Hole that was holding CONTRA DANCING! For those of you who don't know..that is a lot like square dancing. So we went, and danced with about 50 random strangers and it was AMAZING. It's safe to say that I'm pretty terrible, but the dances are a lot more difficult than I thought..and if you mess up you mess up everyone because its all about order. By the end of the night I improved and there were some younger people there that taught us a lot and needless to say we are going next month!

ALRIGHT...thanks for sticking through with me..and I welcome any comments on the blog..or emails because I am interested in what and how others are doing as well!!!

Miss you ALL!
Jaci

1 comment:

CARLY! said...

Jac, I love you, I love hearing your stories, I can tell you are having a blast and it makes me SO HAPPY!