Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changesss

Hey all!! WELCOME BACK TO THE SHOW!! haha justttt kidding!!

SO this week we started our Individual placements, which was at Self-Reliance. So far I have been doing a BUNCH of reading on all the forms of Renewable energy, and I also made an information poster on Biodiesel. Then I had COD day at the office (Community Outreach Development) and we are planning a Beach Sweep where high-school students go to a beach we choose and clean it up along with an environmental twist..likkeee having a game where each student is either an animal or a piece of plastc and the plastcs are trying to capture all the animals (kinda like sharks and minnows)..FUN STUFF! The two service projects we had last week were with the Brewster DNR (Dept of Natural Resources) Monday was Fire fuel reduction which is basically clearing out all the dead trees and brush from a conservation area so in case there is a fire it won't be as detrimental to the rest of the forest. Friday we were culling oysters all day which means seperating the large oysters from the aquaculture beds the DNR set up. THAT day was amazing because we were in the water during low-tide on the beach...ALL DAY and measuring oysters. Ryan, our shellfisherman is 28-ish and he's extremely knowledgeable as well as cool...he let us choose some oysters that were over 3 inches and EAT THEM RAW! I cracked them open and ate two...with a bunch of hot sauce. I couldn't actually taste the oyster...it was all hot sauce. The texture was slurpee..yum?

Then my mom and my grandparents came up to visit for Columbus weekend!!! (Oh and I forgot to mention that Whit and Lynsey came to visit me the last Sunday in September for their Rosh Hashannah break and it was amazing :-) ) <-- double chin. ANYWHO--so I showed them the Knob, Woods Hole, Martha's Vineyard and then the Outer Cape like Seal beach, the Truro winery, etc. Sunday we went on a sunset hike to the top of a Sand Dune on Great Island and watched the sunset with a bunch of strangers and it was so much fun. Some of the people from the Wellfleet house came as well as Amanda, Ash and Phil from my house. One thing I thought was really cool is that everyone clapped when the sun went down! Apparently its a nightly tradition there to enjoy the sunset and they clap every night which is a great tradition in my opinion..I feel as though people don't stop and appreciate those natural beauties, myself included. Working on it!

In other news my trivia group won 3rd place this week..and we are going again tomorrow to try and reclaim first place! Also there is a group of us that are going to run a relay marathon at the end of October (I'm hoping for 10 people in our group so we each only have to run 2.6 miles :-P) ALSO I joined a singing group called the MasterSingers by the Sea and we have a bunch of concerts throughout the year that I am pretty pumped for.

That's all for now! I hope everyone is doing well and are enjoying the fall foliage! Get outside! Take a hike! Bike ride! Run! Whatever! Just enjoy it because in January you are going to wish you had.
TTFN :-)

No comments: